VBAC & Cesarean Support Group
Your birth matters, and cesarean birth often comes with some extra intense feelings. Some moms need time to process what happened during their birth, and to decide what might be best for their next baby.
It's been almost a decade now that we've been holding space for families at our VBAC & Cesarean Support Group. Birth Kalamazoo's Teresa Youngblood facilitates each session. She's a birth doula, postpartum doula, nurse, cesarean and 4x VBAC mom. She understands the emotions and knows how to help. If you've had a cesarean or if you're looking for a VBAC in Kalamazoo, this is a great place to connect.
Here's what happens at a typical meeting:
- Birth story sharing (first cesareans, VBACs, and repeat cesareans)
- Discussion about VBAC and repeat cesarean, especially if you're trying to decide which is right for you (no judgement zone!)
- Info on what to expect with a VBAC locally, and how to manage safety measures like continuous monitoring in the hospital (or what to expect with an HBAC — home birth after cesarean)
- Discussion about doctor and midwife options in the area (including which practices families have found to be VBAC supportive)
- A few tears, some laughter and lots of connection and support
We meet quarterly. Everyone is welcome at the meetings! We ask for a $5 donation to cover our facilitator's time if you can, but please come even if you can't contribute monetarily. We want to see you and support you. Babies in arms are welcome, but because sharing can sometimes get intense, please leave mobile little ones at home. Here are our upcoming meetings, 2019 dates will be added here soon:
Thursday, November 1
4204 S. Westnedge